A stadium shouldn’t be too big, but it should be comfortable and kept in great condition so that everyone feels right at home. SC Freiburg fans love their “living room” on the Dreisam. As it turns 65 years old, the fact that the stadium on Schwarzwaldstraße is aging a bit is something that the fans prefer to overlook. Fans also forgive the stadium’s few imperfections, such as the pitch being five metres shorter than most, the seats being on a slope from south to north or the pillars that hinder viewing from some seats in the main stand. The atmosphere is unaffected by these flaws. Matchdays at the Schwarzwald-Stadion with our fans were always a cause to celebrate.
|Seated capacity||14,000 (58%)|
|Standing capacity||10,000 (42%)|
|Wheelchair capacity||Up to 57|
|Alternative energy sources||Solar panels on all stands|
|Energy generated||250,000 kwh per year|
1955: Freiburg move into SC-Platz
1967: Name changed to Dreisamstadion
1970: South stand converted into the first seated area (480 covered seats)
1980: Main stand built with 1800 seats, taking total capacity to 15,000 fans
1993: Floodlights installed. East stand covered and 1,580 seats added
1994-1995: Main stand expanded to 5,000 seats. New South stand constructed with 2,200 seats and space for 4,400 standing fans. Total capacity now 22,500 fans
1999: North stand renovated to include a covered standing area for up to 6,000 people. East stand converted to a fully seated area (7,000 seats). Total capacity reaches 24,000 fans.